I recently went out on a trip to Arizona by myself. That was something, traveling alone that I haven’t done in so long, but I was excited. Not because of where I was going, but because I was by myself and its totally wonderlust isnt it?
So I am not an expert or anything but here are some tips that I have gathered for when you are traveling . Got any tips? leave them below!
- Try to book packages when it comes to flights and hotels : I booked my travel arrangements through priceline via Kayak . I actually booked my flight,hotel and rental through a package but I discovered that I end up paying for my rental separate and it added more to my package costs. In the future I recommend actually booking the car separate unless you can be sure that it will not be separate. You save money and your flight and hotel are included in costs, buy enough time ahead and you can get a good deal on flights and hotels.
- Check in for your flight as soon as you can: Now this is always a good idea, but with some airlines like American when you check in online you have the option to pay around $30.00 for priority boarding. I HIGHLY recommend this, I paid for it on my flight to Arizona and was very glad I did. It means you can board after the 1st class people and not be in the bum rush of the 3rd group. I also learned that there are so many seats for priority boarding on each flight as well. I ended up checking in later then before and missed my chance to buy priority boarding. I also paid extra on my flight home for a aisle seat, I did NOT want to get stuck in the middle seat again.
- Mapquest how far your hotel would be from your destinations: This I discovered is really important, more so when it comes to a place where you have no idea where you are going. I mapquest, googled, all that how far my potential hotel would be from the venue, even when I was there I would google all the places I wanted to go and made sure things were in my area. This will not only help you to get an idea of where you are going but also help you choose your hotel.
- Arrive about 2-3 hours early: This is pretty much common knowledge, but its helpful, the main reason is so you can get through security , this also helps so you can find your gate, get food , etc.
- Dont Eat or Drink too much: I personally dont like to eat or drink too much when I travel, who really wants to use the airplane bath room and plus what you dont feel good after you eat, heart burn etc. I do recommend some snacks or something or if your flight is quick then its should be okay, but I just dont think its a good idea. If you drink a pint of beer before a flight, no one wants to sit with you as you will be known as the one who gets up constantly to use the bath room.
- Be Alert of Your Surroundings: This is for anyone and more so for those traveling solo dolo. You want to be mindful if anyone is following you, if your purse and belongings are open ,etc. Dont advertise so much like expensive gadgets, etc. Safety is very important.
- Take advantage of the free breakfast that your hotel offers: This is a MUST if you are traveling solo, its just nice to wake up and go downstairs grab food and head back up to your room. Plus its free, so how can you not?
- Be Mindful of What you buy when traveling: You dont want to pay more because your bag weighs more and yes its so hard to not buy everything when shopping and getting souvenirs. , ask if the place will ship to your house or cleverly pack all your stuff in your luggage. Be mindful of coming home with more then what you left.
- Always pack a light jacket or something and check weather: This is also pretty common sense,but I always suggest packing a light jacket, more so when you head to warm states/destinations. It can be cold at night or rainy so you should be prepared.
- Safety is key: Be mindful and safe of where you are going. Google it and ask locals. You want to enjoy your trip but getting back home safe is more important. Use common sense.
What are you some of your tips?