Its WEDDING SEASON! Are you excited ?
May , June & July are big wedding months, I mean its hard to see why not. These months are filled with beautiful weather, May I feel is the best and probably the most popular month. Its loved for the wonderful perfect weather most days and breeze. Its not too hot or cold. Its perfectly spring. May is so awesome to get married that I even chose it for myself when I got married ( it just so happened we got engaged the previous year in May, so we chose a date 3 days from our engagement date.) .
I get asked often from newly engaged ladies about wedding planning, and so on. I do my best to offer my advice, so I thought why not officially offer to the masses?
I came down to 5 MUST DO's that every couple should do to start wedding planning. These are more common sense but you would be surprised on how many ladies didn't realize these tips!
1. PICK A DATE: This is the most important, every vendor that you come across will ask when your date is and believe it or not your prices and even what is available ( food, flowers, venues) greatly depend on your date. So before you do anything else CHOOSE A DATE. Plus when you announce your engagement to family and friends this is the very first question that comes out of their mouth!
2. PICK A VENUE: This is another important thing beside picking your date. Again this is another thing that will be needed and asked constantly when you talk with other vendors. I would suggest picking your venue BEFORE choosing your caterer, WHY? because believe it or not many venues either have their own catering vendor, on staff catering or preferred catering that have exclusive contracts with them. Our venue allowed outside caterers yet our caterer had to submit documentation to be cleared by the venue. This is also where your date comes in, you will have to narrow down venues based on your date and what is available.
3. GET A BUDGET & STICK TO IT: I know this is hard and will be hard to stick to, believe me. I dont suggest getting loans or becoming broke for a wedding. There are many ways you can research to have a less costly wedding yet it be beautiful. We became blessed as we had family members pay for aspects of our wedding. So family is great if they can help. Venue, Catering and Flowers are your most expensive things when it comes to a wedding. I would suggest being realistic with your budget an focusing on these things first, Dont get caught up in the hype either when it comes to having unnecessary things in your wedding, many of those Pinterest ideas and diys, etc are money suckers. AND some are money savers, , example: I chose NOT to do wedding favors as I felt they were a waste of time and money, also from experience many people throw away favors unless its something edible, the great thing is no one even noticed or said anything about the non existent wedding favors!
4. USE WEDDING SITES LIKE WEDDING WIRE OR THE KNOT: I have this as a must because its such a great resource, I found my wedding day coordinator on weddingwire as well as our caterer. I personally prefer weddingwire.com , you can make a free wedding website ( the knot offers this too but I find the knot kind of janky looking- personal preference) , they have reviews of vendors along with tips and forums of other bride to be's. This is such a great resource, if your vendor is on wedding wire you can leave reviews on them after the wedding and get a free gift. Mine was a awesome coupon for shutterfly where I got a great deal on our wedding album I made.
5. USE A WEDDING PLANNER OR A WEDDING DAY COORDINATOR:: Only use this if your budget will allow, but honestly I HIGHLY suggest you make room for this in your budget. What is the difference between the 2 you ask? A wedding planner is someone who is with you throughout the WHOLE process of the wedding planning from day 1 to wedding day. She/He is your miracle worker, she deals with the brunt of the stress for you and does all the dirty work. a wedding day coordinator is a wedding planner ( many offer both services) who swoops in on your wedding day and takes all your stress away and handles and manages your day. You and your soon to be hubs can focus on getting ready and enjoying your day and dont sweat the hullabaloo. The hubs and I got a wedding day coordinator at the insistence of our pastor, BEST DECISION EVER. We didn't have enough in our budget to hire her for our whole process but as a wedding day coordinator she swooped in on the month of our wedding and took over everything and handled it, she took all out stress away and on our wedding day this bride wasn't stressed or worried about a thing. She was seriously amazing, not to mention she was Nigerian so she really understood what my husbands family expected .
****MOST IMPORTANT TIP OF ALL
ENJOY YOUR WEDDING PLANNING PROCESS! Its such a wonderful , exciting and yes stressful season before the wedding , but you will always remember it and its unforgettable. You will remember how it all came together for your special day.
Love these tips? Let me what you would like to see next for the series #weddingsinmay